Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

There are a variety of work visa options available depending on the skills and qualifications of the foreign employee and the location, needs, and industry of the U.S. employer. Some of the work visa options available to a foreign employee include H-1B visa, L-1 visa, J-1 visa, H-2A visa, and H2-B visa.

The H-1B Visa

The H-1B work visa is usually reserved for specialty workers. Specialty workers should possess a highly technical or theoretical type of expertise in their field. H-1B visas also have sub-categories for even more specific individuals such as Department of Defense employees and certain fashion models. To obtain an H-1B visa as a fashion model, for example, you must demonstrate that you are a model of distinguished merit and ability. 

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa is available for transferring employees. For example, a foreign employee transferring here from a foreign-based company may find the L-1 visa category preferable if they have worked abroad for the company for a continuous period of at least one year during the preceding three years. As with an H-1B visa, your U.S. employer must demonstrate a special need for your employment in the United States. The fact that you are a good employee will not be sufficient. Your U.S. employer must demonstrate that you have a key position or a position with specialized knowledge that is not available within the labor pool in the United States.

The J-1 Visa

If you are a student, some types of student visas will authorize you to work on campus or off campus depending on your status. Student visas do not generally authorize full-time employment, but rather limit employment to approximately 20 hours per week. Similarly, if you qualify for a J-1 visa exchange, you may be able to work if the program requirements of your J-1 visa authorize limited employment directly related to the exchange program. 

H-2A and H-2B Visas

If you are a seasonal agricultural worker, you may qualify for an H-2A visa. This work visa is designed to allow employers to bring seasonal, agricultural workers to the U.S. when sufficient labor is not available in the United States. Similar to the H-1B process, a U.S. employer must obtain a labor certification verifying the need for the temporary labor. This type of visa tends to be more limited than other work visas. An H-2A work visa may only last for a season, whereas an H-1B work visa can authorize a foreign employee to remain in the United States for several years. A similar program exists for temporary non-agricultural workers called an H-2B work visa.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting Help

As you can see, there are a variety of programs and categories available to foreign employees seeking to work in the United States. To determine which category or categories of work visa best meet your employment objectives, consult with an immigration attorney.