What will the bank do if the value of the borrower’s home will most likely not satisfy the mortgage?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will the bank do if the value of the borrower’s home will most likely not satisfy the mortgage?

Will the bank take the small value of the home and go away? Or will the bank do more? The bank is experiencing its own troubles and is being sued by the borrower for fraud?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the loan secured by a trust deed or mortgage on a piece of property is current then the borrower will continue making the monthly payments until the loan is paid in full. However, if the borrower stops making the monthly payments, the lending bank could initiate foreclosure proceedings upon the security for the loan where the secured property could be sold at auction.

If the loan is "purchase money," meaning the loan was used to acquire the property, and if the state where the property is located has anti-deficiency statutes, then the lender will not be able to pursue the borrower for any deficiency judgment if the home is foreclosed upon.

If the lender is being sued by the borrower for fraud concerning the loan, the dispute will either settle or go to trial.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption