What will I have to do and prove to get custody and to get a divorce?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will I have to do and prove to get custody and to get a divorce?

Me and my wife have been seperated for 3 months. We have a 5 month old son that we share visitaion with. She has been late constantly about bringing my son over and when I come over to get him she is always gone and doesnt answer the phone. I am military so she has him in during the week and I get him on the weekends and when I have passes. I have not seen my son in three weeks and I am really getting tired of her games. I want to get a divorce and possibly sole custody but I don’t know if I would get custody because of my job. She doesn’t work, she is not in school and depends on her dad.

Asked on March 25, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. generally speaking, custody and visitation is determined by what is in the "best inerest of the child."  No one parent is given priority over another any more like it used to be.  The courts take a look at the whole picture.  I would speak with ana ttorney in your area about being the custodial parent (sole custody os not generally given; courts prefer joint custody with one parent being the custodial parent).  If you are not made to be the custodial parent then you will have set visitation.  If she does not follow it you can bring her back to court.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption