What will happen to my DWI case?Will it show up in FBI record,as it is not showing in TX DPS records?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to my DWI case?Will it show up in FBI record,as it is not showing in TX DPS records?

I was arrested for a 1st time DWI,NO accident or NO damage to any property in USA on 15th Sep 2008. The same day, I was released out of jail by paying $1000 jail bond. My USA M-1 visa got expired on 17th Sep 2008. That’s the reason i left USA on 5th oct 2008,after hiring an Attorny. Who represented me in the criminal court on 6th Nov 2008. Now,my USA visa got rejected. I can not enter USA.So, 1.what will happen to my case? 2.What are my chances of getting any other countries visa,as i was arrested but,not convicted yet? Thanking you

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You had a lawyer for your case but you left the United States? If so, your lawyer should have either negotiated a deal with the prosecutor and final approval by the court to either dismiss the charges or an alternative conviction wherein you agreed to certain conditions.  Unfortunately, if you left the country, you may have had a trial but failed to appear and it is not simply the DWI charges but a warrant for your arrest, as well.  FBI records consist of research of other agencies in the U.S., including your arrest records.  You were arrested, and though arrest may not be such a bad act, the fact you were not a legal resident or citizen of the U.S. (but rather a visa holder) may be sufficient to prevent your return to the United States without hiring additional lawyers to help resolve the matter.

You should contact a new attorney who specializes in immigration law and may need to consult with a criminal lawyer (not the one you had) to help sort out your specific history and figure out your next steps. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption