What will happen to a 16 year old childwith a learner’s permitwho is charged with reckless driving?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to a 16 year old childwith a learner’s permitwho is charged with reckless driving?

I am 16 years old and I’ve had my learners for 8 months. I was recently involved in an accident, where I ran off the road and over corrected. The car went air borne and hit a parked vehicle in a driveway; 2 passengers were hurt. The state police officer charged me with reckless driving. I had on my seat belt and my mom was the passenger and had on her seatbelt but unfortunately my friend in the back didn’t have on her seat belt and she was hurt pretty bad. I’m just really worried about what’s going to happen in court.

Asked on August 21, 2011 Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay you need to take a deep breath and calm down for a moment. It sounds like you were operating the vehicle with your Mother present and legally so I am concerned about insurance coverage first.  It appears that you should be covered but please make sure of that.  Next, you need an attorney for the criminal charges.  Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge - in the same classification as a DUI | DWI charge.  The penalty parameters for reckless driving is up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines.  Reckless driving carries the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to 6 months. So you need an attorney to make sure that it is termed what it was: an ACCIDENT.  And to make sure that you are protected.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption