What will happen if I file my bankruptcy papers and they are wrong?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I file my bankruptcy papers and they are wrong?

Flat broke; no job; filing bankruptcy on my own (no lawyer). I am being sued for credit card debt and went to civil court today. If I file my bankruptcy papers and they are wrong, will it still show I am filing and stop the civil suits against me or does the bankruptcy have to be totally finished?

Asked on February 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You have asked two different questions here so let me see if I can help sort it out in any way.  First, the Bankruptcy Court will not accept the petition if it is done incorrectly.   So I would suggest that you seek some sort of help on the matter or at least read up on the filing procedures on line.  Next, once you file the bankruptcy and the creditors are listed on the bankruptcy the debt collection should cease.  The creditors have to be properly notified, of course, of the pending matter.  when the bankruptcy is totally done it is known as "discharged" and then you are relieved of the debt. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption