What will happen if I didn’t do community service from 6 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I didn’t do community service from 6 years ago?

I was court ordered to do 24 hours of community service 6 years ago but never did it. I was recently pulled over on a traffic stop and found out I had a warrant for a failure to appear for a court date I never knew about. I had a court date; my paper says it was for a Class 2 misdemeanor. I went to court for that with a lawyer and paid the fine but never did the community service. I’m wondering if I had the warrant for not doing community service and if it matters since it was 6 years ago?

Asked on May 8, 2016 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You failed to successfully complete your sentence when you did not perform your court ordered community service. Accordingly, a warrant was issued for your arrest. And warrants do not expire. So whether it is 6 or 60 years old it is still active. You really should consult with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption