What visa or document can I arrange for a long term U.S. stay on the person I will sponsor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What visa or document can I arrange for a long term U.S. stay on the person I will sponsor?

I have a lady coming to the U.S. who intends to stay here indefinitely with me.
Are there imigration doc’s or VISA’s that will allow this to happen. She does
not want to have to return in 6 months, one year, etc.

I appreciate your input.

Bill West

Asked on February 8, 2017 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If she is coming to the US on a visitor's visa, assuming she gets one issued to her (it is not a guarantee at all) she cannot stay for longer than 6 months (that's the maximum authorized period of stay granted at the port of entry but this, too, is discretionary with the port of entry officer).  If she wants to be able to stay longer then she would have to either file an extension of the stay close to the time of expiration but for that she would have to provide documentation as to the reason for the extension request or she would have to be petitioned for an immigrant visa or a change of status to another nonimmigrant visa that would enable her to stay in the US longer.  Since I don't know what other nonimmigrant visa she might qualify for (probably none), the other option would be an immigrant visa petition on the basis of marriage.  Are you contemplating marriage?  There is no other indefinite basis for stay in the US for a foreign national entering on a visitor's visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption