What types of cases do small claims courts typically hear?
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Small claims courts frequently hear disputes such as these:
(1) a laundry service loses a customer’s shirts but refuses to pay for them, or is willing to pay an amount that the customer thinks is inadequate;
(2) a landlord improperly refuses to return a tenant’s security deposit;
(3) a driver who hit a parked car won’t pay to repair the fender;
(4) the new luggage you bought breaks, and the store says “tough luck”;
(5) a doctor charged $1,800, the health insurer says $650 is “reasonable and customary” and won’t pay one cent more, and the doctor is “dunning” you;
(6) the kid next door hits a baseball through your window, his parents say its his responsibility and that he has to pay out of his weekly $2 allowance – it would take 10 years to collect.