What type of evidence would be needed in court to requestan annulment based on fraud?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of evidence would be needed in court to requestan annulment based on fraud?

I have been married a little over 4 years in CA and my wife has never consummated the marriage and has apparently used me to gain citizenship in the US and be intimate with her girlfriend whom I thought was just our roommate. She promised me intimacy and kept putting it off and when I really started getting suspicious she hurried to get her citizenship and had her serve me with a divorce papers. I’m on Social Security and she is making 7 times my income annually (as a nurse) and wants to pay for nothing.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  What you wish to obtain is called a judgement of nullity where the courts make a determination that the marriage never was rather than it was and it is now over.  It is my understanding that the type of fraud must go to the core or essence of the marriage.  Your allegation of the misrepresentation or concealment must have been "vital to the relationship," directly affecting the purpose of the deceived party in consenting to the marriage/domestic partnership.  Here your wife had a concealed intent not to engage in sexual relations with you and concealed her true sexual identity will support a judgment of nullity on the ground of fraud.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption