What type of attorney to contact/hire?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of attorney to contact/hire?

I’m looking for an attorney to look into the
hiring process for a civil service exam for the
City of Gary, IN. Ive tried calling a few, and
cant find someone to do what im looking for. I
recently took a written exam and physical
agility for the City of Gary Fire Department.
I’ve taken multiple civil service exams and
have been lucky enough to score well and get
hired by a few different departments. The
hiring process is more stringent when compared
to pther application processes. I feel and know
that with a subpoena of the written exams, and
with a subpoena of the physical agility results
when comparing my results to the final 30 that
they processed, that my averaged score was
higher than some of those that made it through
final processing. I witnessed and can prove
that they turned away other candidates
unlawfully… I am currently employed by the
City of Gary as a Paramedic. Can you help
explain the type of lawyer I should be
contacting to handle this case? Ive been trying
employer lawyers thus far.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your issue is that you believe there was some form of discrimination (e.g. against you due to your race, sex, national origin, etc.) going on, you would hire an employment law attorney (who deal with employment discrimination cases) or *possibly* a civil rights attorney (who deal with violation of legal rights based on things like race, sex, etc.). If you believe that the problem is more "technical," such as some violation of civil service rules, hire a lawyer who does "adminstrative law"--that is, someone who deals with government agencies and regulations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption