What to do with my daughters ex-fiance’s belongings

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do with my daughters ex-fiance’s belongings

My daughter’s fiance lived with me and my daughter and granddaughter in my home for the last 3 years. They split up in June almost 4 months ago and he has told me he doesn’t want any of his belongings left at the house. I kept in case he changed his mind but now I need the space. What do I need to do to get rid of it without legal issues?

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he told you in writing (even just an email or text you could print out and save) that e doesn't want these things, you could rely on that writing and dispose of them now. If he didn't tell you writing, send him an email or text asking him to confirm that you may dispose of them--if he does, again, you may do as you wish with them.
If he responds that now he does want them, schedule a time for him to pick them up. 
If he won't reply or respond at all, send him another writing, sent ideally more than one way you  can prove delivery (e.g. some combination of two or more of email, fax, certified mail, FedEx/UPS) which 1) restates that previously, he had orally told you that you could dispose of these things, and 2) which says that he has 30 days to arrange to take his belongings if he does want them. Wait out the 30 days, then dispose of them, keeping copies of the writing and its delivery confirmation on file in case he later tries to sue, claiming you disposed of his property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption