What to do when we go to court for a summons pertaining to an old credit card charge off?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when we go to court for a summons pertaining to an old credit card charge off?

We had a credit card with a balance of $350 in 10/06. My husband suffered astroke and lost most of his income, and Cap. One charged off the debt. Now attorney Blitt and Gaines are taking us to court for 854.0 plus court cost. We may be able to bring the originally $350 with us to court, but not $854. We don’t really dispute the debt, however, it was charged off. Now these vultures call us constantly and threaten and lye to us. Do we owe them or the credit card company?We only got summoned last night(7/21) and our court date is 7/30, which doesnt give us much time. What should we do?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to appear in court to answer the summons.  You can probably go down ahead of time and file an answer to the complaint.  You need to ask the clerk abut putting in an affirmative defense of "accord and satisfaction" and bring with you any documentation - letters, etc., - that the debt was charged off.  Also raise an affirmative defense of "lack of personal jurisdiction" which has to do with the service of the pleading.  It may not have been served properly.  Also raise "action is barred for failure to bring same within the applicable statute of limitations."  Once the matter is before the Judge you can explain your case.  Trying to settle is always an option.  It is easier before a Judge.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption