What to do when accused of a hit and run if there was no damage?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when accused of a hit and run if there was no damage?

I am being accused of a hit and run. I bumped into a vehicle in the drive-thru line. I thought my car was in park and rolled into him not hard at all it was a BUMP. The passenger of the car got out and looked I asked him if there was any damage he said no just a scratch and he rubbed his hand on it and it came off. I told him I was going to pull out. He said okay and I drove away. Now I’m being accused of a hit and run. What should I do?

Asked on January 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Utah, a person involved in an accident must immediately and by the quickest means of communication avilable give notece or cause to give notice of the accident to the nearest office oa a law enforcement agency. Additioally, you must give to the persons involved: (1) your name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle being operated; and (2) the name of the insurance provider covering the vehicle being operated including the phone number of the agent or provider. If you fail to do this the prosecutor can charge you with a Class B misdemeanor.  Which is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.00 and jail not to exceed 6 months.

That said, it sounds like there was a simple misunderstanding here.  Usually, in this type of case you or your attorney can get it dismissed or significantley reduced after you meet with the prosecutor.  Especially, if you are willing to pay for the damages on the other vehicle. Which in this case seems low.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption