What to do about bogus charges from an HOA?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about bogus charges from an HOA?

I have been over charged by my HOA. I had to pay the amount $800 in order to close when I found a buyer. The previous tenant that never had a dog where assessed $150 for 2 infractions of not “cleaning up after the pet” (again they did not have a pet). Those charges were never reported to me so I was incurring a $30 per month delinquent fee. All along I was paying the monthly assessment in full and on time. I feel I am rightly due a return of my $800. Can I sue/take to small claims? Should I or are there other avenues to pursue.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that the HOA overcharged you with respect to claims it had when you closed escrow and you expended $800 of your own money to close escrow, your recourse if the HOA will not voluntarily refund your money is to file a small claims action against it.

For that, I would go down to your local court house and get the necessary forms to file. There should also be a small claims court advisor to answer any questions that you might have down at the court house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption