What to do about being denied gainful employment opportunities?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about being denied gainful employment opportunities?

I work for a church/daycare as janitor. They illegally delayed paying me several times, so I reported it to the D.O.L. The church said ‘I hurt God’, and are now blacklisting me to keep me from getting another job. They even got an officer from the local police dept. to falsify my criminal background checks to discourage prospective employers from hiring me My background checks should be spotless,I have NONE
What can I do to protect myself from this?

Asked on March 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Note that they do not need to give you a positive reference, and can even be negative about you as long it is truthful (and opinions are, for this purpose, "truthful" in that an opinion, being an opinion, cannot be false). In that way, you can be "blacklisted"--a past employer can say to possible employers, "I wouldn't hire Bob; I found him disrespectful and lazy," since that is an opinion.
But  they can't lie about you to others--doing that is defamation. And falsiying your background is absolutely a crime. Hire a lawyer to help you--if a police officer is involved, you are going about against the authorities, because you can assume that the officer's department will be reluctant to admit/believe their officer falsified records. Your lawyer should, based on what you write, file a lawsuit vs the officer and department to both seek compensation and get the records corrected. If there is any evidence the church caused the officer to do this, they can be sued too--the church and the individuals involved. And if they did lie about you to others (e.g. they said "John Doe stole from the church," when that wasn't true--that would be a false factual statement, which can be defamation), they can be sued for defamation, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption