What to do about an oldDUI that I never saw through to its completion?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an oldDUI that I never saw through to its completion?

Appricimately 28 years ago 1983 I received a DUI. I went to jail for the night and paid my bail the next morning. I left the state and never returned. I;ve had no problems with the law ever since but I don’t like the idea of this unknown hanging over my head. Would a bench warrant have been issued? What is the likelihood a warrant is still outstanding? I have been bonded, and had background checks run on me for jobs and nothing came up. I live 2000 miles away and do not have money for an attorney. Any suggestions as to how I can clear this up?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, most criminal violations do have statutes of limitation in terms of how long a prosecutor has to bring the action. If you were bonded out and left, did you ever have mail forwarded from your former residence to the new residence? If so, did you receive any old mail? Did any officers or prosecutors attempt to contact you when you were in your new location. If not and your background checks showed nothing, then really there should be no issue. Outside of hiring counsel, see if you can find a way to obtain your own background check through a pay service to obtain your criminal history. If you ever applied for a license and have been bonded, it may not be necessarily that nothing came up but rather an issue that this particular type of criminal violation is a non-issue for the bonding entity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption