What time frame do you have to sue for discrimination?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What time frame do you have to sue for discrimination?

I was stripped of my superviosr duties because the director at the time did not think I could properly supervise while pregnant. This was during the spring and summer of 2007. I made a formal complaint back then but nothing was really done about it. I’m still very bothered by it since I have been very devoted to my company for the past 9 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.Jennifer

Asked on June 19, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In NJ the basic statute of limitations for different causes of action are as follows:

Professional Malpractice: Medical malpractice claims must be commenced within two years from the date of the act or omission giving rise to the complaint, or two years from the date the injury was or reasonably should have been discovered.

Personal Injury: 2 years.

Fraud: 6 years. Libel / Slander / Defamation: 1 year.

Injury to Personal Property: 6 years.

Contracts: 6 years.

Notwithstanding the above examples it is often possible to shorten a statutory limitations period by contract. For example, an employment contract might require that any claim relating to the employment relationship, including wrongful termination, be filed within one year of the claimed wrongful conduct. Courts often uphold these clauses, particularly in the context of business transactions, even though they provide for a shorter limitations period than the statute of limitations would otherwise apply.

What I would suggest you do is review your employment contract. If nothing appears to specify a specific limitation I would assume you will have 2 years based on a cause of action for discrimination as you would like to pursue. Notwithstanding the statute you should contact a local attorney who specializes in this area of law. They will be able to review the specifics of your case and tell you if they believe you satisfy all the elements to bring a lawsuit. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption