What time does it take to get my green card?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What time does it take to get my green card?

I am unmarried and reside inside the united states in students status. I am doing my Ph.D. in mathematics. My father from Nepal has permanent residence and he filed an I-130 petition for me before two years. How much time does it take to get a green card from this process? How much time does it take approximately to file adjustment of status?

Asked on August 9, 2018 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is about a 4-6+ year process to get a visa on the basis of being a grown son/daughter of a US permanent resident so it is probably going to be faster for you to get a green card on the basis of employment once you are completed with your PhD and get a permanent position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption