What steps should I take to file a contempt of court order.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps should I take to file a contempt of court order.

My x is not paying the loan on a home we
own. He is in contempt of court. I need
to know what steps I need to take and in
what order to refinance and get him off
the deed.I have received paperwork from
bank on this matter. I live in Acushnet
and house is in Athol.

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Family Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

For contempt of court, you will need to file an Order to Show Cause. Call the court to schedule a hearing. Enter the date/ time/ department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause. File it with the court along with your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim. Also file any other supporting documents or other evidence of the contempt of court and a proof of service ( court form). File all of these documents with the court and then mail a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex to provide notice of the hearing. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption