What steps do we take to stop a neighbor’s illegal auto mechanic shop?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps do we take to stop a neighbor’s illegal auto mechanic shop?

Our house butts up to an alley way and our driveway is connected to it along with most of our neighbors. About 8 months ago, the house across the alley from us decided to start up an

auto body shop. This house has no backyard, therefore they do 99 of their work in the alley beside our house or in his makeshift garage. We haven’t been able to use our driveway in months, and have dealt with multiple problems since the start of this. This includes noise, crowds of unknown people, little to no privacy, up to 10 cars parked around our house at one

given time, traffic from 7 am to 8 pm all week long, and constant smoking and cursing. At one point our side yard was used to

Asked on April 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a lawsuit in chancery court (a part of the civil division of county court) based on "nuisance" seeking a court order enjoining, or preventing, them from running the business. A nuisance is a use that might be legal in the appropriate setting or venue, but which is inappropriate for the neighborhood it is in and which disturbs the neighbors. A court has the power to force them to stop. A suit like this is considerably more procedurally complex than, say, the typical small claims case for an unpaid bill or a fender bender, so you are advised to retain an attorney to help you.
Also, if anyone is on your land (e.g. side yard) without your permission, you can call the police on them for trespassing. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption