IfI work on a different state than the one that my company is based in, where should I file my unemployment claim?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI work on a different state than the one that my company is based in, where should I file my unemployment claim?

I work for a OR based company that pays OR unemployment for me. I work 90% in WA and am considered a WA employee. However, WA denied my claim. Should I file in OR?

Asked on November 9, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You file for unemployment in the state where  you are employed; state  of residence does not matter. Therefore, if you are a WA employee, that's where you have to file; you can't file in OR, even if that's where the company is based out of and where you occasionally work.

You can appeal you denial if you think there are grounds. Remember, if you left voluntarily, you are not eligible, even if you left for "good" reasons. If you were terminated, then as long as you were not fired for cause (e.g. not for insubordination, violating company policy, absenteeism, assault or  theft at work, etc.), you should normally be able to collect unemployment. (The other issue would be whether you worked enough hours to qualify--see the requirements for UI provided by the state.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption