What should we do about my elderly dad’s debt?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should we do about my elderly dad’s debt?

My 83 year-old dad has SSI for his only income/no assets. He has several old medical bills and 1 credit card bill that he has walked away from. I know they cannot attach his SS check, but should I send letters to the creditors or let it be. He cannot afford an attorney to file for bankruptcy. He has moved to a different state and does not have a bank account nor intends to get one.

Asked on October 26, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No one can "advise you" to walk away from paying a legitimate debt or to avoid paying a legitimate debt.  But one can advise you that the bills of your Father will be bills of his estate when he passes on.  You will not be held personally liable for them.  For the credit card he was the person that took out the card, correct?  And the only person that signed the cardholder agreement, correct? Then even if you were an authorized signor on the account you are not responsible (unless they jump through other hoops which I doubt that they will).  Is there a way to help negotiate the debt and pay it off?  If not and then bankruptcy is really the only avenue the estate may have to file it when all is said and done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption