What should my next step be?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should my next step be?

I got into a car accident in a couple months back. One of the passengers and the driver of the vehicle I hit are claiming bodily injury. The crash was minor with little to no damage on my car or theirs, and they did not request medical help when the police arrived on site that day. Since there are multiple claimants the claim could exceed what my car insurance covers and I could be asked to pay the rest. In the letter the claimant’s lawyers sent they said they were aware of this fact and would consider an

Asked on November 15, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance company which will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.
Any settlement of the personal injury claims won't occur for a number of months because the claimants have to complete their medical treatment.  Then, the opposing attorney will need to obtain the medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  After that, the case may be settled with your insurance company.  If it is settled, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled, then a lawsuit will be filed, but this is several months from now or possibly longer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption