What should my next step be after I’ve received a 3 day notice from my landlord?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should my next step be after I’ve received a 3 day notice from my landlord?

I am having financial problems and I wont be able to pay the rent for this month. I already got my 3 day notice but I need more time to find somewhere else to livie. The apartment I live in now is too expensive and I can pay for it anymore. The apartment had always been in a really bad condition. I’ve livied here doe 2 years and nothings works. I never had an air conditioner nor a heater. The kitchen bell doesn’t work, tiles in the restroom are all broken, the stovie (which is on the agreement) does not work, the kitchen cabinets don’t open, and varies things around the house do not work.

Asked on August 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay well you seem to have a lot of complaints about a breach of what is known as the warranty of habitabiltiy, which means that you are to have a working stove and heat, etc.  You can bring an action in landlord tenant court to ask the court to pay the rent in to court and for an abatement (reduction) of the rent based upon the conditions that exist.  Otherwise when the 3rd day is over the landlord will start an eviction proceeding and that should give you a few more weeks.  Answer the petitoion at court and go to court on the date it states to plead your case.  Ask for additional time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption