What should I go about doing?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I go about doing?

I got a DUI almost 4 years ago that I haven’t taken care of. I had a huge drinking problem and avoided taking care of it because I was lost and didn’t want to deal with it. Now I have a bench warrant out and I want to get this out of the way. I’ve been in a sober living house for 5 months, working a program to stay sober. I went to rehab before that and have been doing what I can to make sure I have my life in a good spot. But I don’t know if I should just go in and turn myself in. I made a mistake driving drunk, but now it lingers over my head every day and I feel stupid for not taking care of this back then. Should I try and show the judge that I’ve been trying to get my head in the right place? I have all the documents to show that I’ve been to rehab and I also have drug tests dating back 5-6 months showing that I’m sober.

Asked on January 21, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

At this point, you need to go back to court to get this all cleared up. Now that this is a criminal matter, you really should consult directly with a criminal law attorney about your case. Especially since, you will have to handle both the warrant and the underlying DUI charge. A lawyer can best present your case to the judge, especially arguing how you have rehabilitated yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption