What should I do with furniture a tenant left behind after leaving without any notice?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do with furniture a tenant left behind after leaving without any notice?

I rented out a house to a man who left the property without notice because of legal issues. He left some belongings and furniture behind. I need to rent out the house to someone else. What can or should I do with the furniture?

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the estimated value of the left behind furniture from your former tenant is less than $300.00 collectively, then you can dispose of the articles in any manner that you wish by way of leaving on the curb with a "free" sign on them, donating the furniture to charity or tossing the property in the rubbish.

If you have some other address of your former tenant, I would send him or her notice of the need to pick up the items left behind by a certain date. If not, then you can dispose of them. Keep a copy of the letter for future need.

If the items are worth more than $300.00, I would take the property to an offsite storage facility and place it in the name of the former tenant with his or her other address. Send a copy of the location where the property is to the former tenant. If he or she does not pay the storage fee, then the offsite storage company will auction off the property to pay the unpaid rent. Keep a copy of the second letter for future need as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption