What should I do with a Super Speeder ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do with a Super Speeder ticket?

I was going 90 on I-85 when the speed limit is
70. What should i do to reduce the citation and
insurance increase?

Asked on September 2, 2019 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, paying it is an admission of guilt: by paying, you plead guilty to the offense.
There is almost never a good defense to a speeding ticket: the police can almost always prove to the court's satisfaction that you were speeding. (Not surprisingly, if you go to court and dispute what the police say, the court will almost always believe the trained, sworn, and no-personal-stake-in-the-outcome police officer over a driver trying to avoid a ticket.)
But if you go to court, there is a good chance that you will be offered a favorable plea deal, such as to going a lower number of miles over the limit. So if you go to court, it is likely (but not guaranteed) that you can reduce the fines and points on your license. You need to decide if spending probably 2 - 4 hours in court, plus travel time to/from court, is worth the chance (but not certainty) of reducing, but not eliminating, your liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption