What should I do regarding DUI / Controlled Substance case?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do regarding DUI / Controlled Substance case?

I was arrested and had possession of control substance, open container, and a
BAC double the legal limit. I rammed my vehicle into a railing on the parkway
and was not conscious enough to stop and report it and gained consciousness at
the police station. This would be my second DUI in 2 years and I dont know what
to do.

I was offered a opportunity by cop to help with the criminal side of the
incident if I ‘helped them out’, but I dont know how much it will help my case
if I proceed. I cannot afford a lawyer so I am pretty clueless if I should take
the opportunity I was given if it will help my case.

I need guidance on what to do. NJ was the state.

I dont mind taking the controlled substance charges to be honest, I just want
to avoid losing my license for 2 whole years or more. I understand its a wrong
decision Ive made, and am willing to live with it. But any information that can
guide me on what my options are would be great. Thanks in advance.

Asked on May 6, 2019 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to avoid a two-year license suspension, unfortunately. In New Jersey, the DUI sentencing is mandatory: the authorities and courts have no discretion or ability to sentence you to less than the statury minimums, which for a 2nd DUI, means two-year license suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption