What should I do once I know some employees have provided false SSN’s?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do once I know some employees have provided false SSN’s?

The company I work for has 4 current and 1 past employee whose SSN’s do not match their name, according to the SSA. I have verified that the information I have matches their SS cards. I have told them they need to report to the SSA to try to figure out what the problem is. I know they will not go because one of them has told me they are here illegally. Just need to know how to advise the company ownership.

Asked on May 9, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Terminate them. An employer is not obligated to affirmatively report an employee's crimes--and using a false SSN is a crime--to the authorities, BUT 1) you cannot employ anyone who is not legally eligible to work in this country, on pain or threat of fines and sanctions; and 2) if you continue to employ and pay them knowing that they are using false SSNs, the employer may become complicit in crimes (like identity theft or tax fraud) they are committing. So your company, to protect itself, needs to terminate them immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption