What should I do if my vehicle was damaged by an auto transporter?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my vehicle was damaged by an auto transporter?

Paid for vehicle to be transported to the east coast. Vehicle was damaged. I’m

sure the transporter’s insurance will pay to fix it but this will show on a Carfax report. I expect the value of the vehicle to be adversely affected if I should sell. How do i ensure I’m fairly compensated?

Asked on September 28, 2018 under Accident Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are paid for the repair costs, you have been fairly compensated in the law's eyes: when someone damages your property, they have to pay the repair costs (or if it is destroyed--"totalled"--the then-current fair market value). But they are not obligated to make sure that it has the same resale value it might have had if not damaged. The law does not take cognizance of what you *might* one day get for it, since that is so speculative. (Will you sell it? When? What will the market for cars like it be like then? What shape will it be in other than this damage? Etc.) The party which damaged your car only needs to take care of the actual, known current costs or consequences, not what you *might* theoretically lose in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption