What should I do if I was falsely accused of a safety violation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was falsely accused of a safety violation?

I drive a forklift and the trainer at my job was walking a potential hire on the dock near where we work. I went to park my vehicle for a moment and he claimed I got too close to them. I presented my case and said that I felt he was being disingenuous. I was told it didn’t matter what I thought and that I

had to be retrained. What are my options?

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Does this action violate the terms of a union agreement or employment contract? Does your treatment constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination (i.e. is it based on your race, religion, age (over 40), disability, gender, etc.)? If not, then as an "at will" worker, your company can set the conditions of the workplace much as is sees fit. For your part, you can either refuse the retraining but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption