What should I do if I suspect age discrimination at my place of work?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you believe that you have been illegally discriminated against based on your age, file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC, for short) within a certain time frame. You can mail the complaint, call the EEOC toll free at 1-800-669-EEOC or 800-669-6820 or drop in at the EEOC local offices in person. More information on filing a complaint can be located on-line at the EEOC’s Internet address at: Job Description for more details.)

Also, file a copy of the complaint with your local state office of civil rights. Be prepared to document your allegation.

The EEOC will investigate and attempt to resolve the problem informally. The EEOC will file suit against the employer, but, due to budgetary constraints, lawsuits are filed in only a very small number of cases. Individuals, however, can sue independently if the EEOC has not filed its own lawsuit.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption