What should I do about undisclosed water damage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about undisclosed water damage?

About 2 years ago my wife and I bought our house from 2 realtors that were flippers too. 6 months in we started running the heat and noticed cracks in the drywall and doors not shutting. Called some contractors and one said he was in the house before it was flipped and saw the entire kitchen ceiling down on the ground and water everywhere. We had mold, replaced all the flooring subfloor included, the entire kitchen, the duct work and a bunch of other stuff. On the seller disclosure form the water damage section was checked

Asked on April 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Ignore their comment about sitting on realtor boards--that won't help them in court: the boards have no power over court.
Your recourse is to sue them for the money. You would sue them based on fraud: on concealing a material, or important, facts in order to induce, or cause, you to buy the home. The law does not allow a home seller to hide or lie about significant structural or health conditions. While it would be benficial to have an attorney represent you--maybe you can find one who will do this on contingency, or for a portion of any money recovered--if you can't, you have the right to file the case "pro se," or as you own attorney(s). You can find instructions and likely sample or template forms from you court: try contacting the court clerk's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption