What should I if my apartment complex took a month to fix my A/C?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I if my apartment complex took a month to fix my A/C?

I reported my A/C not working right a month ago. They are just now fixing it. The entire unit had to be replaced. They did nothing to put us in a unit with adequate air conditioning. They gave us 2 box fans and said hope it helps. I went to office to let them know I was not responsible for rent for this month and to find out why they made us live in that situation. The manager played the blame placing game and agreed to nothing. What should I do now?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you had to live in your rented unit for a month or so with no air conditioning, you need to write the apartment complex manager and the landlord voicing your disleasure requesting some abatement from your rent for your inconvenience in that your monthly rent included a working air conditioning unit which you did not receive and see what response if any you receive. Keep a copy of the letter for future need.

If you do not receive the response that you want, you then request a face to face meeting with the complex manager and the landlord to see what is going to be done regarding a rent abatement. If you still do not get the response desired, you can let the issue lie or take your chances in small claims court for the desired rebate in rent.

I caution you that a small claims action for a relatively small amount of a desired rent rebate may cause you more problems than good, win or lose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption