What are my rights regrading an illegal apartment?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regrading an illegal apartment?

I lost my job and am backed up in rent 4 months. My landlord refuses to give me my mail and refuses to give me rent receipts now he’s threatening to start an eviction process. I was looking on-line for evictions and I came across illegal apartments. By the looks of it my attic apartment is illegal. I looked this house up and this is a 2 family dwelling, not a 3 family. In my apartment there are no smoke detectors, no window guards for my child, a fake fire escape. What should I do?

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are residing in an illegal rental and your landlord is giving you a difficult time concerning failure to provide you with mail delivered to you by the United States Postal Service, you should do the following:

1. consult with a landlord tenant attorney over the treatment you are receiving from your landlord and the possibility that you are residing in an illegal rental.

2. contact your local building and permit department to have an inspection concerning your rental to make sure that it is legal and up to code. If it is not legal and up to code, your landlord will end up being cited. Potentially if you are living in an illegal unit, you may not have to pay the rent claimed owed by the landlord.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption