What should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do?

I live in Washington state. I don’t have
car insurance. The motorcycle that is
involved doesn’t have insurance. I was
In the right hand Lane and turned right
into a gas station and a man on a
motorcycle was flying down the bicycle
lane to my right and we collided. He has
no physical injuries. He thinks the
accident is my fault and wants me to pay
1000’s of dollars to fix his bike. It is
illegal to pass cars and drive in the
bicycle lane on a motorcycle. If I just
ignore him will I get in trouble?

Asked on July 26, 2018 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you ignore him, his option is to file a lawsuit against you. He can only win the lawsuit if he can show that you, and not him, were at fault--for example, that it appears you turned without signaling so that he had no warning you were turning, or you turned abruptly at the last moment so he could not avoid you, etc. That he may have been driving illegally does not mean he, not you was at fault--it may result in tickets and fines for him, but fault is about who was careless in causing the accident, not who may have been violating traffic laws.
If he doesn't sue you, you don't have to do anything. If he does, you have to respond to it or else you will lose by "default" (like forfeiting a ball game by not showing up). If you do respond, as stated, he then has to prove your fault to win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption