What should I do

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do

I’m having a issue at my work, and I want to know if my case is a
civil class act case, so I been working this job for a while now and
they made me crew leader with more pay. I been doing it for a while
now with no pay. I have ask and called everyone they won’t get back
at me. He told on day no matter what I’m scheduled to work because
of my position as crew leader so everything’s a question him or ask
him about my crew leader pay he has me on call I’m trying to figure
out is because he’s trying to get back at me because I asked him
about the raise he keep telling me he’s waiting for me to get
approve. If I’m not approve how am I doing crew leader position.
They are very rude too many individuals with management skills at

Asked on February 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately unless you have a written employment contract for a definite duration (e.g. 1-year) which has not yet expired and which promises you the raise, you have no claim. In the absence of such a written contract, all employment is "employment at will"; that means, among other things, that your employer sets your compensation and can change it at will--that is, at any time, for any reason. They can renege on a promised raise, for example, without penalty, because without a contract, what you are paid is entirely up to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption