What should I bring to court regarding past due HOA fees?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I bring to court regarding past due HOA fees?

Our HOA sent us to collections for amount owed. For the last 5 weeks I have been in contact with the law office to come to an agreement for the amount owed. The HOA has not replied to the law office and the court date is in 3 days. What should we bring to court to help our case, and will the fact that the HOA are failing to respond to our correspondence be to our advantage?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A judge always like to see that the parties in dispute are trying to negotiate a deal with regard to the matter and voluntarily enter in to a settlement on the issues involved.  Amicable dispute resolution is always preferred.  So the fact that they are not responding to your attempts to resolve the matter could work in your favor.  It really depends on if the negotiations are meaningful negotiations and not just an offer to make an offer.  Now, as for proof, you need to bring with you what you need to defend your self here.  Is this a dispute about fees they say you owner and you say you paid?  Then bring receipt for payments (cancelled checks, etc.).  If the dispute involves deductions for work that the HOA was responsible for and they did not do but you did instead and deducted from your fees, bring the receipts and proof that they should have fixed or corrected the condition or problem.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption