What’s the best way to get compensation for medical bills after having been assaulted physically by someone?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s the best way to get compensation for medical bills after having been assaulted physically by someone?

There was no police report made because I was promised my medical bills would be paid for the day it took place. Verbal requests for payment have been made. Payment has been promised but not seen yet and medical bills are Past Due

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal matters.  The lawsuit is separate from the criminal charges. 

Assault is intentiionally placing one in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery without consent or legal privilege.  Assault does not require physical contact.  Battery is the physical contact.

Battery is the harmful or offensive touching of the person of another without consent or legal privilege. 

When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  You will need to sue the person who assaulted you.  Your lawsuit should include a cause of action( claim) for assault and a separate cause of action (claim) for battery.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption