What route should I take to force an unwilling joint owner to sell or buy out my half?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What route should I take to force an unwilling joint owner to sell or buy out my half?

I have a joint timeshare ownership with an ex-husband of 3 years. There is nothing in the divorce decree concerning the timeshare. I would like to liquidate my half of the time share. My ex-husband will not respond to any correspondence whatsoever, so I would like to know the route I need to take to force the sale or buy out of the property?

Asked on January 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should seek help from an attorney in the area on this matter.  If this were considered real property then state laws generally allow what is known as an action for partition, which is where one of the joint owners of the property petitions the court to divide the property in half giving both owners equal parts.  What happens in reality is that the property can not be divided equally so a judge usually orders it sold and the profits divided equally.  But this is not real property.  So you may have to go back to court to re-open the agreement and to litigate this issue.  I know it may be a pain but it may be the only way.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption