What rights does a father have in seeing his child before legal action is taken?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights does a father have in seeing his child before legal action is taken?

My boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend is refusing to let him see his son. This has been on-going for months now. She has no reason to do this other than out of spite. She also belittles him and talks badly to other people. Is there anything he can do in the meantime to be allowed to see his son? I have heard of emercency custody. Could he file for that?

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for his situation with his son.  I am assuming here that there is no custody agreement in place as there is, correct?  Well that has to change and he has to go to court to establish a custody agreement now. Yes, he can bring a motion for temporary visitation on an emergency basis and then there will be a hearing to establish a permanent arrangement.   If she violates that arrangement then there are legal consequences that he has.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption