What rights do I have when someone slanders you

UPDATED: May 3, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have when someone slanders you

What can you do when someone calls
you a ugly name in front of a lot of
people. A name that degrades your

Asked on May 3, 2017 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Defamation (slander is spoken or oral defamation; libel is written) is *only* when an untrue factual assertion is made about you to others, which untrue fact damages your reputation. For example, say that someone accused you of having sex with his/her spouse: that is a factual assertion. If it is untrue (you did not have sex), you may be able to sue him/her for defamation (the amount of money you could recover would be related to the situation--where you work, your size community, how widely the defamation became known, etc.--and how much you can show it harmed you).
But say that instead of making a factual allegation, the just called you a "slut" (or whatever the male equivalent of a slut is): that is just an ugly name and/or an opinion, but is not backed up by any factual assertions. Therefore, it is not defamation and you can't sue. Only untrue factual assertions may be defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption