What Rights Do I Have Under My Insurance Policy?
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Aug 5, 2019
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Consumers have certain rights and insurance companies have certain responsibilities to the insured. Each insurance policy is a contract and every contract has a list of rights and responsibilities on all sides.
However, courts and state legislatures have enumerated other consumer rights, they include:
- The right to be treated fairly by the insurance company, which does not mean the insurance company has to pay a claim if it has a good reason to deny it.
- The right to have a claim paid or denied within a reasonable time.
- The right to be notified in writing precisely why the insurance company is denying a claim, specifying each contract term or provision upon which it is basing the denial.
- The right to be given accurate information on what the policy terms means.
- The right to have a timely response to letters and phone calls.
These are a few of the rights consumers have when dealing with insurance companies. To be sure your rights are honored; you should contact an experienced insurance bad faith attorney as soon as you suspect that your insurance company is acting in bad faith.