what rights do I have to remain in my home of 10 years after sudden death of my mate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what rights do I have to remain in my home of 10 years after sudden death of my mate?

Although not legally married we lived
as man and wife for 15 years. The last
ten years at this resident. He died of
a massive heart attack a month ago,at
age 50. His children are trying to make
me leave. Do I have any right, even
temporarily to live here until I can
figure out the rest of my life without

Asked on May 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, if you were not married and he did not leave you the home in a will and you are not on the title, then unfortunately, you have no right to the home: living there for years, even as "man and wife," does not give you any legal rights to the home. The home will in this case go to his children, who may require you to leave (as can the court-appointed representative for the estate, who can ask you to leave so the home may go to the children or be sold for their benefit). If you don't leave when they ask you to, they can file a court case to remove you, which will take a few weeks, giving you a little time, but ultimately you will have to go--it may have been your home, but it will now be their property.
The story will be very different if you are on the title: then, with your partnter's death, you should become the owner and it will not be inherited by the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption