What rights do I have to my trust fund?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have to my trust fund?

I was left money for my 21st birthday, and the trustee spent it all. He has
attempted to set a rule I must be employed for 6 months to get half. I have
planned to have it and need it for multiple operations my insurance runs out
on. I’ve never had access to the paperwork and he refuses to give me
access. I’m in pain every day and I need help. I’ll be 21 in 6 days.

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the trustee for conversion which is theft in a civil case.
Your remedy is to obtain a constructive trust against the trustee by which the court will require the trustee to return the stolen funds to the trust.  If those funds have been used for any acquisitions, the constructive trust can trace the stolen funds to those items and those items or their value can be returned to the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption