What rights do I have as a property owner

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have as a property owner

My grandmother owned a house. She became ill and my mother moved in to help her. When my grandmother became to ill for my mother to care for her, she was moved to a facility and my mother was given the house.

My grandmother passed, and my mother remarried. She has passed, without a will, and now the husband has passed, without a will. While living, they had allowed friends to move in. They are still living there and family possessions have gone missing.

There is no lease, but utilities are in the friends name.

What legal rights do myself and family have to get them out and prevent other things from going missing?

Asked on August 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you can prove that you are now the owner (e.g. that title was transferred to your name after  your mother passed) you can bring a kind of legal action traditionally called "an action for ejectment." You can think of this as "eviction for nontenants." Anyone who lives in a home but is not a rent payng tenant and not an owner is a guest; a guest (including a guest of previous or prior owners) can be asked to leave at any time--they have no right to reside or remain there once the current owner wants them gone. If they don't leave when required, you can bring the ejectment action to get a kind of court order (commonly called a "writ") which will instruct the sheriff to remove them. 
They must first be given proper written notice and a reasonable time (generally, at least a month) to vacate. The notice and legal action are both highly "technical" in that a minor procedural or paperwork error can force you to start over. You are advised to retain an attorney to help you; even though this is not eviction of a tenant, landlord-tenant attorneys do this, so such an attorney would be a good one to call.
Note that if they have seemingly stolen items, you can also sue them for the value of what they took; you can discuss this with your attorney, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption