What problems will I face if I co-sign for a house with my mom?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What problems will I face if I co-sign for a house with my mom?

It is going to be a HUD home. My mom is paying for the house in full and I will not have to owe anything on it. She will be the primarily and living in it. This is for just in case something was to happen to her, I would get the house. I currently have my own house although my name is not legally on the paperwork because my husband got it before we were married.

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay you have a few different issues that need to be addressed here.  First, if your mother pays for the house outright and there is no mortgage just putting you on the deed with rights of survivorship gives you a right to inherit automatically.  But does give you some financial obligations such as taxes, water, etc., should she not pay.  Now, as for your home, you need to have your name placed on the deed becuase on its face the house is not yours and if your husband owned it prior to marriage and there can not be shown an "intent" to make it marital you may not have any ownership rights.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption