What possible charges will I face if I beat up someone?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What possible charges will I face if I beat up someone?

My daughter and her drug dealing husband are in a divorce. They have a temporary parenting plan in place and every time they exchange the children, he cusses my daughter, in front of their children. She has recorded this behavior and he has been threatened by the court with contempt if it doesn’t stop but he continues to cuss her. I am fed up. I know I can stop the abuse. What will the court charge me with after I beat him within an inch of his life for cussing my daughter?

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will be charged with assault and battery for beating your daughter's ex-husband.
Assault and battery are both civil and criminal which means he could sue you for his injuries which would be separate from the criminal charges against you.  The civil case (lawsuit) and the criminal case for assault and battery proceed independently of each other through the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption