What pay am I entitled to regarding getting my PTO upon departure?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What pay am I entitled to regarding getting my PTO upon departure?

Recently, I placed my 2 weeks notice as my employer required me to work 60 hours but because it falls in between weeks no overtime pay. This was after a natural disaster, extreme flooding, and was not given time to get my affairs in order prior to returning to work. The following day I was notified that my employer was accepting my notice early for

Asked on September 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer need not accept a 2 weeks notice; an employee can be considered to have quit as of the day that their notice is given. Therefore, you are not entitled to pay for the days that you expected to work. As for your PTO, in TX, employers are not required to pay workers for earned but unused vacation upon termination, unless the employer has a written policy or past practice of doing so. At this point, you can get more information and possibly file a claim for unpaid PTO with the TX Workforce Commission and/or sue in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption